Beautiful sights

Beautiful sights
Horses at blue water Lake state park

Sunday, March 17, 2013

park manager Gabe

Monday,  I met the park manager , Gabe.  He is a good looking young professional, and he was so kind! He said that he likes to give  his volunteers a few days to get settled into the life of the park before putting them to work.
So I relaxed and fixed up my yard with the dog fence and rugs, dog beds, and lawn chairs.  I also took the time to go throughout the park learning the whereabouts of the toilets, the water faucets, the numbers of the sites, etc.  I also took the opportunity to get my dogs used to the routes we would take on their exercise runs.

One day I went to Deming and got some groceries. Twenty seven miles isn't really very far, but I was spoiled by being at Quartzsite AZ with town just over the hill!

Today I worked all day in the visitor center, and learned the ropes of that job. Lois, one of the other volunteers showed me everything.  She's a good instructor. I learned a lot of the answers that I will have to know as time goes by.  I learned how to start the movie about the park, where the different literature is kept, where the cleaning supplies are, and how to get the statistics kept for the park. There is an envelope with our days worth of change, which has to be accounted for, how to work the cash register, how to make paid tickets, etc.

Many of the visitors wanted information about mammals, birds, rocks, reptiles, etc, and I had to learn what to say to them.

One thing I learned is that Gabe is a very well rounded and hard working guy. Then the toilets don't work, he fixes them.  When the water system is down, he fixes it.  He picks up the garbage bags at the campsites, retrieves the pay envelopes from the self-pay tubes, reconciles the cash register from the visitor center, makes sure that the visitor center volunteer has a supply of caqsh to use for maqking change, cleans the vault toilets, places toilet paper in vault toilets, cleans the showers, etc.  He is on call for any law enforcement needs that occur in the park, and he is in charge of first aid for the visitors who injure themselves trying to climb the rocks at the park.  He has only one paid employee!

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are learning the ropes quickly. I know you will be a good and helpful volunteer. Hope the pups like the new park too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gabe sounds like a busy guy! I'm glad you're starting your work - I'll bet you love it. You always learn what you can about your surroundings, anyway, so this should be easy for you. Have fun. I'm going to see Ron tomorrow and find out if he can fix my "regulator" soon. I'll let you know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Without dedicated volunteers so much couldn't get done. Kudos to you for helping!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know how I missed your last post. I'm excited to see you starting a camp hosting position. We will be starting ours April 1st. I'm anxious to hear all about your experiences. This will be our 3rd time and we love it. I'll bet that your kids are glad to be settled again.
    take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds interesting. Glad you like the site.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for dropping by; nice to meet you! Deccy x

    ReplyDelete

Due to strange comments from anonymous persons, I will be moderating comments for now.