Beautiful sights

Beautiful sights
Horses at blue water Lake state park

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Dry Camping logistics for bathing greyhounds

My new greyhound, Power, was not given a bath when he came off the racetrack due to his injuries and his surgery.  I wasn't overly worried about it but now that I found tapeworms, I want to give him and his bed a good bath. 

I am camped on BLM land in the Arizona Desert, have only a tank of fresh water, and am trying to decide if I am going to use a commercial grooming service, or go to a faucet and bathe him in cold water, or use the water in my RV tank, which I can heat.  The RV has an outside shower with hot and cold water so I will probably use that.  One thing I have learned from 40 years of owning dogs is that many of them are terrified of bath tubs and nearly faint from fear while in a tub.  I might use the outside shower during the hot part of the day, and then the bath is done.  No more wondering what to do.

Keeping a dog out of the sand and soil till dry is not too difficult.  I put a yard mat inside my large x pen next to my motorhome, so I believe I could keep him clean.  

Next I want to clip his toenails.  The operated foot has really long toenails , Probably due to his foot being bandaged and painful.  I need to take care of this issue.  Power is walking pretty well on the operated foot, but if I leave the sock off it, he wants to lick it continuously.  So for now I have a sock on the foot and take it off several times a day to check over the foot.  The foot looks sore and weird due to the missing portion.  The knuckles that are left in the foot are red and hairless, and seem to be swollen.  I feel that time will help.  When he cannot lick the hair off, I hope the hair will regrow.

I did clip the nails on his operated foot.  He was well behaved but acted like he didn't understand why Mom was holding his foot off the ground.  I nipped just the tiniest portion of each nail so he would realize that nothing bad was going to happen.  The nails on those toes are very crooked (probably due to his injury to this foot) I'm hoping that with time they will straighten.

On one front leg is a red sore about 1/2 inch in diameter. The adoption agency said they had been trying to get it to heal before I got her.  I think I will put triple antibiotic ointment on it and then cover it with a sock.  Perhaps it will heal when Power cannot lick it.  The sock should let air get to it but keep Power's powerful tongue off it.

I did accomplish the bath yesterday about noon.  I waited for the warmest part of the day, and used the outside shower with the water warm.  I put a towel down on the soil.  He wasn't sure what was going on, wondered why I wanted him to stand  on the towel.  The water and shampoo worked together to get him lathered.  With Power's short hair and no fur undercoat the rinsing went rapidly.  Then I threw a large towel over  him to soak up some of the water. After all was cleaned up we went for a short walk to give the sun a chance to dry him. Mission Accomplished!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to strange comments from anonymous persons, I will be moderating comments for now.